This article will provide step-by-step instructions for three different ways on how to stop Kodi buffering.
If you have used Kodi for any length of time, you have noticed that some streams buffer like crazy. This article will alleviate some of your pain and help you fix your Kodi buffering problems.
There are three different types of streaming when using Kodi. You can stream media within Kodi from a computer that is connected to your local area network. Many people refer to a setup like this as a home media server. You can also stream on-demand content such as tv shows and movies through Kodi addons such as Exodus and Elysium. Or, you can stream live tv channels from Kodi addons as well.
The techniques within this guide will help with everything but the live tv streams. Unfortunately, the Kodi live TV addons are hit and miss and the buffering that you encounter from these are due to server overload on the part of the respective addon. The best bet to alleviate buffering with live tv addons is to purchase an inexpensive IPTV subscription service such as Kodi Players Klub.
In the guide below, I will cover three methods for fixing Kodi buffering. I personally use all three methods on my Kodi boxes and I never have problems with buffering when using the various addons.
The first method is a must on all Kodi systems if you plan on streaming from third-party addons which provide access to movies and tv shows. In this method, we are installing Easy Advanced Settings in Kodi. The tool allows us to allocate a portion of space to a special cache where media files are downloaded to in advance of being played. Normally, Kodi is playing the media as soon as it downloads but this tweak will download the video in advance and store it within the cache that is created.
After you understand how important the first method is in relation to buffering problems, you will always purchase Kodi devices with substantial RAM. I personally would never buy a device that didn’t come with at least 2 GB of RAM. My favorite streaming box is the 2nd Generation Amazon Fire TV due to its powerful specs and unbeatable price.
The second method involves setting up an unrestricted downloader which will provide faster file sources for you to choose from within your various Kodi addons. The service that I will show you is the most popular and is called RealDebrid. Once you set this up and go to play a movie or tv show, it will present a list of RealDebrid sources for you to choose from which will provide better media playback.
The third method is to connect to a VPN service on your Kodi device, which will help with Internet service providers throttling download speeds for video streams such as those going through Kodi. Legal action has been taken over the past couple of years on ISPs who have been caught doing this and there is no doubt others are doing it as well. A VPN also serves a great purpose in protecting your privacy while using Kodi and making it impossible for other organizations to see and log what you are viewing or downloading.
I suggest starting with the first method outlined below and proceeding through the other two steps if necessary.
How To Stop Kodi Buffering Guide
Method #1 – Stop or Fix Kodi Buffering With Easy Advanced Settings Addon
Below are the step-by-step instructions for configuring Easy Advanced Settings. Refer to the video above for details.
- Launch Kodi
- Click the settings icon which looks like a gear or cog in top left-hand corner under Kodi logo
- Click System settings
- Hover over Add-ons menu item and turn on Unknown sources if not already on – you will receive a confirmation message where you must click Yes
- Click back on remote to go back to System page
- Click File Manager
- Click Add source
- Click <None>
- Type the following url exactly how it is listed here – http://kdil.co/repo and click OK
- Highlight the box under the source that you just typed in and enter a name for this media source, type kdil or any other name you would like to identify this source as and click OK
- Click your back button on remote or keyboard until you are back at the Kodi home screen
- Click Add-ons menu item
- Click the small “open box” icon at top left side of page under the “Add-ons heading”
- Click Install from zip file
- Click kdil or other name you assigned the media source in previous step
- Click Kodil Repository folder
- Click Kodil zip file
- Wait for Kodil repository enabled message to appear
- Click Install from repository
- Click Kodil
- Click Program Add-ons
- Click Easy Advanced Settings
- Click Install
- Wait until you see Easy Advanced Settings installed message
- Launch Easy Advanced Settings
- Click the Tweaks button in top menu
- Follow video tutorial above to calculate cache memory size setting
Method #2 – Stop Kodi Buffering With RealDebrid Unrestricted Downloader
Below are the general steps for configuring Real-Debrid with Kodi. Refer to the video above for details.
- Register for a free account on Real-Debrid Website by clicking HERE. You can enjoy a free trial prior to paying for premium account.
- Install a 3rd party Kodi addon such as Elysium or Exodus to ensure URL resolver is installed. If you use my free Supercharge Kodi Guide, it will show you how to install all of the very best addons with the click of a button.
- Click gear icon on Kodi home page that will take you to settings page.
- Click System settings icon.
- Scroll down to bottom and change standard settings to Expert.
- On same screen, hover over Add-ons menu item and then click Manage Dependencies link on right side of screen.
- Click URL Resolver.
- Click Configure.
- Highlight Universal Resolvers and browse to Real-Debrid within section on right-hand side of screen.
- Change Priority from 100 to 90 and then click OK button to save changes.
- Click Configure again.
- Highlight Universal Resolvers and browse to Real-Debrid settings again.
- Click (Re)Authorize My Account and input code provided into Internet browser on computer, tablet, or phone at http://real-debrid.com/device.
- Dialog within Kodi will disappear once pairing has successfully been completed.
Method #3 – Stop Kodi Buffering With VPN
Many Internet Service Providers throttle download speeds for those customers who are using Kodi or other applications to stream video.
By utilizing a VPN, you will enjoy faster streaming as your Internet connection from your Kodi device will be routed through a different server. By doing this, you are creating an encrypted connection to the Internet, making it impossible for your ISP to know what you are streaming.
A VPN application is also useful due to the fact that your Internet Service Provider can now sell your data and traffic logs to 3rd parties. Using a VPN will prevent them from ever seeing what streams or Kodi addons you are accessing.
My VPN provider of choice is IPVanish due to their blazing fast download speeds and excellent remote control interface.
IPVanish is currently running a special 20% off discount. Simply enter the coupon code SAVE20NOW at checkout and receive 20% off any plan. IPVanish provides a 7-day money-back guarantee on all plans.
Below, you will find a list of tutorials on how to setup a VPN on various Kodi devices.
Router VPN Tutorial (when you do this, all devices connected to your router will be protected)
Click Here to learn why I chose IPVanish as the Best VPN for Kodi.