This article will provide step-by-step instructions for 4 different ways to stop Kodi buffering.
If you have used Kodi for any length of time, you have noticed that some streams buffer like crazy. This article will alleviate some of your pain and help you fix your Kodi buffering problems.
There are three different types of streaming when using Kodi.
You can stream media within Kodi from a computer that is connected to your local area network. Many people refer to a setup like this as a home media server.
The techniques within this guide will help with everything but the live tv streams. Unfortunately, the Kodi live TV addons are hit and miss and the buffering that you encounter from these are due to server overload on the part of the respective addon.
In the guide below, I will cover four methods to stop Kodi buffering in its tracks. I personally use all four of these methods on my Kodi boxes and I rarely have problems with buffering when using the various addons.
NOTE: Prior to using the methods outlined below, I strongly suggest resetting/restarting your software and device. Often times a simple restart is a great way to force close apps and other programs running that can slow down speed.
This will eliminate add-ons that are not in use and remove clunky apps and more that can slow down your software and device. Installing a fresh Kodi is sometimes the best way to eliminate buffering.
If you are using a streaming device such as a Fire Stick, these can easily be restarted for a smoother playback experience as well. If this doesn’t work, a complete factory reset may be needed.
If you are still experiencing buffering issues, restarting your modem is another great way to reset your network which may help improve streaming speed. If none of these fix your Kodi buffering issues, continue on to the methods shown below.
The first method is a must on all Kodi systems if you plan on streaming from third-party addons which provide access to movies and tv shows. In this method, we are creating an “Advanced Settings” file within Kodi.
The tool allows us to allocate a portion of space to a special cache where media files are downloaded to in advance of being played. Normally, Kodi is playing the media as soon as it downloads but this tweak will download the video in advance and store it within the cache that is created.
After you understand how important the first method is in relation to buffering problems, you will always purchase Kodi devices with substantial RAM.
I personally would never buy a device that didn’t come with at least 1.5 GB of RAM. My favorite streaming box is the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K due to its powerful specs and unbeatable price.
If for some reason the first method doesn’t work, we provide 3 more options to alleviate your buffering issues.
The second method involves setting up an unrestricted downloader which will provide faster file sources for you to choose from within your various Kodi addons. The service that I will show you is the most popular and is called Real-Debrid.
Once you set this up and go to play a movie or tv show, it will present a list of RealDebrid sources for you to choose from which will provide better media playback.
The third method is to connect to a VPN service on your Kodi device, which will help with Internet service providers throttling download speeds for video streams such as those going through Kodi.
Legal action has been taken over the past couple of years on ISPs who have been caught doing this and there is no doubt others are doing it as well.
A VPN also serves a great purpose in protecting your privacy while using Kodi and making it impossible for other organizations to see and log what you are viewing or downloading.
In the fourth method, we will clear your Kodi cache. Clearing the cache in Kodi can remove unwanted files and folders which frees up your space for more speed.
I suggest starting with the first method outlined below and proceeding through the other three steps if necessary.TROYPOINT Tip: You should always use a VPN to protect your identity and security when streaming free movies and TV shows with third party Kodi addons such as this.
How To Stop Kodi Buffering Guide
Method #1 – Stop or Fix Kodi Buffering With Advanced Settings File
Prior to following the guide(s) below to eliminate Kodi buffering, I suggest making sure you are using a working add-on first. Often times, the issue of buffering within Kodi can be traced back to a poor link which add-ons that aren’t updated consist of.
To ensure you are using an up-t0-date add-on with plenty of sources and scrapers, check out the TROYPOINT Best Kodi Add-Ons page. This list is updated DAILY to bring you the most popular, working add-ons to install on your preferred device.
In the tutorials below, I am using Kodi version 17.6. However, these steps will work on any version of the software including Kodi 18 Leia.
Below are the step-by-step instructions for configuring the Advanced Settings XML file.
- Launch Kodi
- Click the Settings icon
- Choose File Manager
- Click Add source
- Click <None>
- Type the following URL exactly how it is listed here – http://www.onenation.info/Portal/ and click OK
- Highlight the box under the source that you just typed in and enter a name for this media source, type Portal or any other name you would like to identify this source as and click OK
- Click your back button on remote or keyboard until you are back at the Kodi home screen
- Click Add-ons menu item
- Choose the small “open box” icon at the top left side of the page under the “Add-ons heading”
- Click Install from zip file
- This will prompt you to allow unknown sources. Click Settings
- Click toggle next to Unknown Sources to turn on
- Choose Yes
- This will take you back to zip file installation. Click Portal or other name you assigned the file
- Click plugin.program.onenationportal.zip
- Wait for One Nation Portal Add-on installed message to appear
- Select Continue
- Click Ignore
- Return to the Kodi home screen and under add-Ons click One Nation Portal
- Click Maintenance
- Click System Tweaks/Fixes
- Choose Quick Configure AdvancedSettings.xml
- Adjust Video Cache size to Maximum MB
- Click Write File
Method #2 – Stop Kodi Buffering With Real-Debrid Unrestricted Downloader
Below are the general steps for configuring Real-Debrid with Kodi. Refer to the video above for details.
- Register for a free account on Real-Debrid Website by clicking HERE. You can enjoy a free trial prior to paying for premium account.
- Install a 3rd party Kodi addon such as Elysium or Exodus to ensure URL resolver is installed. If you use my free Supercharge Kodi Guide, it will show you how to install all of the very best addons with the click of a button.
- Click gear icon on Kodi home page that will take you to settings page.
- Click System settings icon.
- Scroll down to bottom and change standard settings to Expert.
- On same screen, hover over Add-ons menu item and then click Manage Dependencies link on right side of screen.
- Click URL Resolver.
- Click Configure.
- Highlight Universal Resolvers and browse to Real-Debrid within section on right-hand side of screen.
- Change Priority from 100 to 90 and then click OK button to save changes.
- Click Configure again.
- Highlight Universal Resolvers and browse to Real-Debrid settings again.
- Click (Re)Authorize My Account and input code provided into Internet browser on computer, tablet, or phone at http://real-debrid.com/device.
- Dialog within Kodi will disappear once pairing has successfully been completed.
Method #3 – Stop Kodi Buffering With VPN
Many Internet Service Providers throttle download speeds for those customers who are using Kodi or other applications to stream video.
By utilizing a VPN, you will enjoy faster streaming as your Internet connection from your Kodi device will be routed through a different server. By doing this, you are creating an encrypted connection to the Internet, making it impossible for your ISP to know what you are streaming.
A VPN application is also useful due to the fact that your Internet Service Provider can now sell your data and traffic logs to 3rd parties. Using a VPN will prevent them from ever seeing what streams or Kodi addons you are accessing.
IPVanish offers an easy to install application that is available on all streaming devices and more. Users can also enjoy using up to 10 devices simultaneously with your VPN connected. This means everyone in the family can stream at the same time.
If you would like to install IPVanish on your preferred device, use my VPN Resource Guide provides IPVanish Installation instructions for the most popular devices. These include iPhone, Firestick and Fire TV, Android Boxes including NVIDIA SHIELD, and many more.
Click Here to learn why I chose IPVanish as the Best VPN for Kodi.
Method #4 – Clear Kodi Cache
Clearing the Cache within Kodi is a great way to eliminate Kodi Buffering using similar steps to those shown in Method #1.
Within the One Nation Portal is a Cleaning Tool that works wonders to help delete and remove unwanted files/folders/etc.
If you do not have the One Nation Portal installed on your Kodi device, use the instructions outlined above in Method 1 to do so.
Use the steps below to Clear Kodi Cache and Fix Kodi Buffering.
1. From the Kodi home screen and under add-Ons click One Nation Portal
2. Click Maintenance
3. Click Cleaning Tools
4. Choose Clear Cache
5. Click Clear Cache again
For a complete clean of your device, you can also select Total Clean Up which will also help with playback within Kodi.
6. Click Total Clean Up
7. Click Clean All
Other Tips to Stop Kodi Buffering
If you have tried endlessly to fix your Kodi buffering issues to no avail, there is a high possibility this is due to your internet speed. If you are using a streaming media device such as a Firestick or Fire TV, you can easily check your device’s internet speed.
As a rule of thumb, users streaming HD movies will more than likely need 10 Mbps in download speed to enjoy smooth playback. If you find your speed is less than that, this may be the cause of your Kodi Buffering.
If upgrading your internet service is not an option, there are a few things you can do to improve speed:
- Upgrade your modem to a higher powered device
- Put your Kodi device as close to your wi-fi router as possible
- Remove any items between your device and router that may be blocking the signal
- Turn off/Disable other devices that are connected to your wi-fi network
- Install a VPN to cancel out ISP Throttling
Other Streaming Options
While Kodi is one of the most popular applications for streaming Movies and TV Shows, there are tons of fabulous other options. Many of these can be installed with only the click of a button.
TROYPOINT has created a list of the 9 Best APK’s for free Movies and TV Shows With No Buffering. These can all be easily installed on streaming devices such as the Fire TV/Stick, Android TV Box, NVIDIA SHIELD, and more.
Currently, the most popular APK available for download is Cinema. Cinema features thousands of movies and tv shows and offers high quality links with no buffering. With real-debrid and trakt.tv integration, Cinema is an all-around streaming giant.
Cinema and numerous other streaming applications are all available within the TROYPOINT Rapid App Installer. This app allows you to install the best streaming applications and tools in a matter of minutes. Use the link below to access this free application.