This MECOOL KD2 Android TV Dongle Review was written by Troy from TROYPOINT after using the Android TV system on a regular basis for one week.
This streaming device was provided free of charge to TROYPOINT by MECOOL. However, this review is unbiased and you will see that I point out both the good and bad regarding this Android TV Box. MECOOL did not have access to this post prior to publishing.
Below, you will find an in-depth review that will provide you with the information that you need prior to purchasing.
Table of Contents
- 1 MECOOL KD2 Android TV Dongle
- 2 New Low-Power Amlogic S905Y4 Processor
- 3 AV1 Supported
- 4 MECOOL KD2 Running Android TV 11
- 5 Expand Internal Storage
- 6 Netflix & Amazon Prime Video
- 7 Side-loading Applications on the MECOOL KD2
- 8 MECOOL KD2 Remote Control
- 9 Gaming
- 10 MECOOL KD2 Download Speeds
- 11 MECOOL KD2 Specs
- 12 What’s In The Box
- 13 What I Like
- 14 What I Dislike
- 15 Final Thoughts on the MECOOL KD2 Android TV Box
MECOOL KD2 Android TV Dongle
The MECOOL KD2 Android TV Dongle comes with 4GB RAM and 32GB ROM (storage).
It’s important to point out that this device is running Android TV 11 and not stock Android like many of the generic boxes use.
MECOOL refers to the KD2 as an Android TV Google certified TV box due to the fact that it integrates nicely with Google features such as voice control and Google Cast.
MECOOL is no stranger to Android TV Boxes and there are a few things that separates the KD2 from their past models.
The MECOOL KD2 is running Android TV 11, includes a new low-power CPU, and comes with an Android TV remote control.
The new light and portable design of this model is what separates this from their other offerings in the past.
Unfortunately, the MECOOL KD2, does not support Netflix HD out of the box but surprisingly it does support Amazon Prime Video in HD quality!
MECOOL KD2 Features at a Glance
MECOOL KD2 powered with Amlogic S905Y4 chipset with 64-bit quad-core ARM® Cortex™ A35 CPU and ARM G31™ MP2 GPU processor, supporting both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Supporting AV1 decoding and running with the newest Android 11 operating system, which gives users a better streaming experience of faster-running speed and greater performance.
- Runs Android 11 on Amlogic S905Y4, with high speed and smooth performance, perfect for home entertainment, home theater, business use, and more.
- New AV1 video decoder included
- Speak into the voice remote control, you can quickly access entertainment, get answers, and control devices around your home with Google Assistant.
- Easily cast photos, videos, and music from your phone, tablet, or laptop to your TV with Chromecast built-in. Enjoy the big-screen entertainment.
- Supports HDR10+, HDR10, HLG HDR processing, witness scenes, and characters come to life in vivid contrast, color, and clarity.
- Google certified ATV Player, built-in streaming media content such as YouTube, Prime video, Google play.
- Light and portable design
- Support regular automatic upgrades.
Use coupon code TROYPOINT at checkout for 10% discount.
New Low-Power Amlogic S905Y4 Processor
One big difference from other MECOOL Android TV Boxes is the inclusion of the new Amlogic S905Y4 Processor.
Yes, this is a budget CPU but its advanced power-saving feature is something to note.
This new processor is known for its powerful output yet low-power consumption which will save in electricity costs.
The MECOOL KD2 supports AV1 Video (AOMedia Video 1) which also appears in their other products listed below.
This is an open, royalty-free video coding format designed for video transmissions over the Internet.
Some online streaming applications now deliver their content in this format and this Android TV Box is capable of playing it.
In the future, we will see more streaming applications stream in AV1 as opposed to H 265, etc. Soon, it will probably be the industry standard.
MECOOL KD2 Running Android TV 11
The Android TV operating system is meant for the television and it’s great to see MECOOL embrace this.
Most of the generic Android TV Boxes run Stock Android and the apps aren’t optimized for the TV screen. Yes, we can side-load some of them onto those devices but Android TV Google Play Store provides access to all applications meant for the Television.
The inclusion of Android TV into its boxes is what makes this device shine in my opinion. You get many of the benefits of the NVIDIA Shield at a much lower price.
Google Assistant is built into Android TV so you will enjoy hands-free access to many features on this Android TV Box.
Google Cast is supported so you can easily push the contents on your phone, tablet, or computer to the big screen.
Expand Internal Storage
Due to the large internal storage (32GB) on the MECOOL KD2, there probably isn’t a huge need to expand internal storage but I still wanted to see if it worked.
I first enabled Developer Options by going into Settings / Device Preferences / About / clicked the Build menu item 7 times. I then went back one screen and into Developer options where I enabled “Force allow apps on external”.
I then inserted a 256GB SandDisk 3.0 USB Drive into the unit and formatted as internal storage and it worked exactly like it would on the NVIDIA Shield. Great news!
From now forward, all applications that I install will be added to the USB drive. I can also go into each application through settings and move apps to and from the USB drive if I would like.
When I go into Apps under the Settings panel, I can also indicate whether it should run off internal or external storage. I typically run apps that require more resources on internal storage such as my VPN and Kodi.
Netflix & Amazon Prime Video
Most generic Android TV Boxes don’t support HD video in either Netflix or Amazon Prime Video.
Thankfully, Amazon Prime Video works in full HD on the MECOOL KD2 and it comes pre-installed.
You cannot play Netflix in HD on this device. Yes, there are some modified Netflix apps available that you can side-load but they won’t be capable of playing HD quality.
If you’re a big Netflix user, don’t buy this Android TV Box.
Use coupon code TROYPOINT at checkout for 10% discount.
Side-loading Applications on the MECOOL KD2
All of the side-loaded apps that I installed worked great with no problems whatsoever.
The Amlogic S905Y4 processor does an excellent job playing HD quality video, including 4K content.
MECOOL KD2 Remote Control
The quality of the remote control has become an extremely important aspect of these various streaming devices.
The MECOOL KD2 comes with a remote control specifically dedicated to the Android TV operating system.
It also includes four shortcuts to popular applications such as YouTube, Prime Video, Spotify, and Google Play.
I’ve complained about this remote control being a bit unresponsive on other devices and thankfully I don’t see that on the KD2.
I don’t see any instructions on how to pair the KD2 remote with a television so you can control power and input on your TV. Some MECOOL devices like the KM7 come with an app that makes this possible…not on this one.
I paired my NVIDIA Shield game controller with the MECOOL KD2 and tested some of the more popular games.
I didn’t experience any lag and the game performance was excellent on this Android TV Box.
The ability to expand internal storage (mentioned above) should appeal to gamers if they run out of space to hold all of their games.
One game can quickly reduce your storage by 1 GB or more.
MECOOL KD2 Download Speeds
I used Analiti Speed test app for the following tests.
I have 1 GB Fiber download speed plan through my Internet Service Provider.
During the WiFi tests, I am connected to the 5Ghz band on my Asus AC3100 Router. This router resides in the same room as my MECOOL KD2 (approximately 20 feet away from wireless router).
I’m using IPVanish VPN as my VPN on Chicago Server 04 (chi-a04).
WiFi Download Speeds
VPN On: Download = 86 Mbps & Upload = 65 Mbps
VPN Off: Download = 389 Mbps & Upload = 126 Mbps
MECOOL KD2 Specs
- OS: Android TV 11
- CPU: Amlogic S905Y4 64-bit quad core ARM® Cortex™ A35 CPU
- GPU: ARM G31™ MP2 GPU processor
- RAM: 4GB
- ROM (Internal Storage): 32GB
- WiFi: Built in 2T2R 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac 2.4+5G Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth: 5.0
- HDMI 2.1 Dynamic HDR [email protected] max resolution output
- 1 x USB2.0
- 1 X Micro USB 5V/1A for power cord
- 1 DC 5V/1A Power input
- Hardware Decoders: – AV1 [email protected] up to [email protected]
– VP9 Profile-2 up to [email protected]
– H.265 HEVC [email protected] up to [email protected]
– AVS2-P2 Profile up to [email protected]
– H.264 AVC [email protected] up to [email protected]
– MPEG-4 [email protected] up to [email protected] (ISO-14496)
– WMV/VC-1 SP/MP/AP up to [email protected]
– AVS-P16(AVS+) /AVS-P2 JiZhun Profile up to [email protected]
– MPEG-2 MP/HL up to [email protected] (ISO-13818)
– MPEG-1 MP/HL up to [email protected] (ISO-11172)
– RealVideo 8/9/10 up to [email protected]
– Multiple language and multiple format sub-title video support
– MJPEG and JPEG unlimited pixel resolution decoding (ISO/IEC-10918)
– Supports JPEG thumbnail, scaling, rotation and transition effects
- Video/Picture Encoding – Amlogic Video Engine (AVE) with dedicated hardware decoders and SW H.264/
– Support multi-video decoder up to [email protected]
– Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous
decoding and encoding
- HDR: Supports HDR10+, HDR10, HLG HDR processing
- 3D Graphics: ARM G31 MP2 GPU
– 4-wide warps, dual texture pipe, 2x 4-wide execution engines (EE)
– Concurrent multi-core processing
-for OpenGL ES 3.2, Vulkan 1.1 and for OpenCL 2.0 support
- Decoder Format: HD MPEG1/2/4, H.265/H.264/HEVC, VC-1/WMV, AVS, AVS +, AVS2 RealVideo, AV1, MP-10, VP9 Profile, RM, RealVideo8/9/10
- Media Format: Supports *.mkv,*.wmv,*.mpg, *.mpeg, *.dat, *.avi, *.mov, *.iso, *.mp4, *.rm and *.jpg file formats
- Audio Format: Supports MP3, AAC, WMA, RM, FLAC,programmable with 7.1/5.1 down-mixing
- Photo Format: MJPEG/JPEG
- Language: Chinese, English, Germany, Japanese, Korea etc. 24 languages
- OTA Update: Support OTA update
What’s In The Box
- 1 x KD2 TV Dongle
- 1 x Power Adapter with micro USB cable
- 1 x IR+BT Voice Remote Control
- 1 x User Manual
What I Like
- Android TV 11 Operating System
- Large 32GB internal storage
- Plays 4K video smoothly
- USB 2.0 port
- New Power-saving CPU
- Expanding internal storage works excellent
- Fast download speeds with VPN on & off
- Supports Amazon Prime Video in HD
What I Dislike
- Netflix HD not supported (not certified)
- No Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/DTS-MA/THX/Dolby TrueHD
- No Ethernet port
- No support for WiFi 6
- No USB 3.0 Port
- Can’t program remote to control basic TV functions such as power on/off, input control, etc.
- Shipping usually takes approximately 2 weeks to United States from MECOOL
- Limited support
- High price
Final Thoughts on the MECOOL KD2 Android TV Box
When I do these reviews, I always take into account how much the device is selling for.
The MECOOL KD2 is currently selling for $76.99 on their official Website. This is a bit high in my opinion when there are other dongles and streaming sticks available at a lower price with same or better performance.
It’s hard for companies like MECOOL to compete with devices such as the Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K Max. Amazon can sell those devices at a loss and recoup that through their other offerings. MECOOL can’t do that.
I recently completed a review on the MECOOL KM7 and that device carries similar specs as this one. I wish MECOOL would concentrate on putting out a few great future-proof devices rather than always pumping out new products with just a few changes.
If you want a small and portable streaming device, the KD2 may be for you but I would strongly suggest looking into the Fire TV Stick 4K Max or Chromecast with Google TV prior to purchasing this.
The main benefit of purchasing the MECOOL KD2 is the additional onboard storage that you won’t find on the other small streaming dongles/sticks.
It’s also important to point out that you are purchasing a product from China and this usually means more difficulty in returning the device if it doesn’t work properly. Also, technical support isn’t at the level it should be at when trying to troubleshoot difficulties.
Use coupon code TROYPOINT at checkout for 10% discount.
I rate the MECOOL KD2 Android TV Box 3.6 stars out of 5
This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!