This Matricom G-Box Q3 Review was written by Troy from TROYPOINT.com after extensively testing the device for over two weeks.
The Matricom G-Box Q3 is a powerful streaming device that runs stock Android Nougat 7.1. The box contains 2 GB memory and 16 GB of storage which exceeds TROYPOINT’s recommended minimum when purchasing Android TV boxes.
It is important to note that the G-Box Q3 is powered by Android Nougat 7.1 and this should not be confused with Android TV. You can think of this operating system the same as what comes installed on your Android phone and tablet. However, the streaming box sports a nice user interface which makes the G-Box Q3 easy to use.
This device includes a friendly launcher that you don’t see with the other generic Android TV Boxes. You can see that this launcher was specifically built for Matricom devices and it works well.
The menu items included within the launcher are; Home, Videos, Music, Apps, Games, Live TV, and Themes. You can also toggle various features at the top of the screen such as Notifications, App Killer, Wireless Network, Wired Network, External Storage, Bluetooth, and Settings.
One of the things that drives me crazy about other Android TV Box launchers is the fact that it is difficult to pull up your notifications. I really like the icon at the top that looks like a bell which allows a person to do that.
The remote control looks different than most of the other generic Android Boxes but it is still IR (not Bluetooth). I have never enjoyed using an IR remote with these boxes so I always pair my Rii i8 Plus Keyboard Mouse Combo to use instead. When I first started using the device, I did have some remote control problems. The remote control stopped working and once I removed the batteries and replaced them, it started functioning properly again.
I like the fact that the Matricom G-Box Q3 comes with 16 GB of storage. This space fills up rather quickly when you have access to the thousands of games and applications offered through the Google Play Store. You may also add an additional 32 GB of storage space with an SD Card.
Kodi does not come installed by default on the G-Box Q3. Once you click the Kodi icon on the home screen, you are taken to the Google Play Store where you can download and install on your own. I like this due to the fact that I always delete and reinstall due to the fact that many of these boxes come with a Kodi fork that I don’t want installed. This way, the user can install and configure Kodi on their own.
Once I booted the system, I immediately installed Kodi, Terrarium TV, SET TV, and The Players Klub IPTV apk. All of these apps performed extremely well on the Matricom G-Box Q3 and I didn’t notice any problems whatsoever.
I like the fact that Matricom is a United States based business as this helps when dealing with customer support or shipping products back. I reached out to their customer support team when I was having problems with the remote and a gentleman got back to me within 30 minutes!
Matricom provides a 1-year warrant that you usually won’t find with other Android TV boxes manufactured in China.
Matricom G-Box Q3 Photos
Matricom G-Box Q3 Review
What I Like
- Powerful Android TV Box with 2 GB RAM, 16 GB Storage, Amlogic S905X Quad Core Processor
- Latest Android Nougat 7.1 Operating System
- Friendly User Interface/Launcher
- Top Toolbar Settings (Notifications, Network, Bluetooth, etc.)
- United States Based Company
- 1 Year Warranty
What I Dislike
- IR Remote
Matricom G-Box Q3 Specs
- Amlogic S905X Quad Core Processor, Octa Core GPU 1.6-2.0 GHz
- 2 GB RAM, 16 GB Flash NAND memory
- Powered by Android Nougat 7.1 (not Android TV)
- Built in Internet Browser for Web Surfing with Flash Support
- Google Play Store offering millions of apps!
- Supports 4K video local media playback from SD card or USB HDD
- Bulit in 802.11 b/g/n Dual Band
- HDMI Supports 1080i,1080p and 4K Ultra HD
- 2 external USB interface, support for mobile HDD, support mouse and keyboard operating
- Support for weather, calendar, and desktop clock gadgets
- Support for music player, picture player and more family entertainment
- Supports wireless USB keyboard/mouse
- Support for SD card up to 32 GB
- App Installer for application installation from USB/SD/Internal Storage
This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!