This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!
This article will teach you how to update Kodi on Android TV Box by using Google Play Store that comes installed with most devices.
Most of the time when you purchase an Android TV Box, it will more than likely have Kodi loaded but it will be out of date.
Since Kodi comes out with new updates on a frequent basis, this will probably be one of the first things that you will want to do when you boot up your new Android TV Box.
I am a huge Fan of the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick and unfortunately, the process to update Kodi on those devices isn’t as easy as an Android TV Box.
The reason for this is because the Fire TV doesn’t include Google Play Store and they also don’t allow Kodi within their Amazon App Store.
This is a huge benefit of owning an Android TV Box as they are easy to update Kodi. I wrote a guide on how to update Kodi on Fire TV or Fire TV Stick and you can use that to update your Amazon device if you have one.
Below, you will find the steps necessary on how to update Kodi on Android TV Box. You will also find a video as well that I recommend you watch for a more detailed process. As of this tutorial, the latest update is Kodi 18.9.
How To Update Kodi On Android TV Box Steps – Kodi 18.9
- Register for a Google Account if you don’t already have one. It is free.
- Launch the Google Play Store on your Android TV Box.
- Login with your Google Account credentials that you setup in step #1 above.
- You will be asked to setup a payment options, but you can click “Remind Me Later” since Kodi is free so we won’t be paying for anything.
- You will be asked if you would like to backup your Google Apps, settings, etc. for your Android TV Box, this is completely up to you.
- After you finish the login process, you will be presented with the home screen of the Google Play Store.
- Click the three horizontal lines in the top right-hand corner and then click “My Apps”.
- After you do this, your applications will be listed and if Kodi is not up-to-date, it will be listed in that section as well.
- If you would like to update all of the applications at once, click the “Update All” button or if you would like to only update Kodi, click the Kodi application within the list. After you do this, it will open a screen specifically for Kodi and you will then click the update button within that screen.
- After the update has been applied, launch Kodi to ensure that Kodi has updated on your Android TV Box.
Please post your questions or comments in the Comments Section below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Warning! Protect Yourself With A VPNMost cord-cutters use a VPN and rightfully so.
The free streaming applications, addons, and paid IPTV services that you use are usually hosted on insecure servers.
Without a VPN, your IP Address is being logged.
Your IP Address points back to your location and identity which compromises both your privacy and security.
Your current identifying IP Address is 184.108.40.206 – When you use a VPN, your real IP address will be converted into an anonymous new one.
A VPN will provide you with an anonymous connection to the Internet.
This will prevent your Internet Service Provider, app/addon developers, government agencies, and any 3rd party from logging what you’re accessing online.
The most popular VPN among cord-cutters is IPVanish due to their blazing fast speeds and zero log policy.
Its important to use a VPN that is fast since we are streaming large HD files. Its also crucial to find one that keeps no logs of what their subscribers access while online.
Setting up IPVanish VPN on your streaming device is simple!
Step 1 Register for an IPVanish VPN account by clicking the link below.
This exclusive link provides you with a hefty discount, only available to TROYPOINT visitors like you.
Register for IPVanish Account & Save $40 (EXPIRES SOON)
Step 2 – Hover over the search icon on your Firestick, Fire TV, or Fire TV Cube and type in “Ipvanish”
You may also find the IPVanish App in the Google Play Store for those of you who are using Android TV Boxes, phones, and tablets.
Step 3 – Click the IPVanish VPN option that appears.
Step 4 – Click the IPVanish icon under Apps & Games.
Step 5 – Click Download.
Step 6 – Click Open.
Step 7 – Enter your username and password to login. Your username is the email that you used to register for IPVanish service with and your password is automatically generated and emailed to you.
Step 8 – Click Connect button.
Step 9 – Click OK for Connection request if it appears.
Step 10 – You will notice that your IP Address changes along with location of connection. You are now operating anonymously through your device.
Click the Home Button on your remote and the VPN will remain running in the background.
Congratulations! You are now protected by a VPN which means everything that you stream or access through your Firestick or Android TV Box is hidden from the rest of the world.
If you ever need to stop the VPN service, simply re-launch the application and click the DISCONNECT button.