This article will teach you how to update Kodi on Android TV Box by using Google Play Store that comes installed with most devices.
Most of the time when you purchase an Android TV Box, it will more than likely have Kodi loaded but it will be out of date. Since Kodi comes out with new updates on a frequent basis, this will probably be one of the first things that you will want to do when you boot up your new Android TV Box.
I am a huge Fan of the Fire TV and Fire TV Stick and unfortunately, the process to update Kodi on those devices isn’t as easy as an Android TV Box. The reason for this is because the Fire TV doesn’t include Google Play Store and they also don’t allow Kodi within their Amazon App Store. This is a huge benefit of owning an Android TV Box as they are easy to update Kodi. I wrote a guide on how to update Kodi on Fire TV or Fire TV Stick and you can use that to update your Amazon device if you have one.
Below, you will find the steps necessary on how to update Kodi on Android TV Box. You will also find a video as well that I recommend you watch for a more detailed process. As of this tutorial, the latest update is Kodi 17.6.
How To Update Kodi On Android TV Box Steps – Kodi 17.6 Krypton
- Register for a Google Account if you don’t already have one. It is free.
- Launch the Google Play Store on your Android TV Box.
- Login with your Google Account credentials that you setup in step #1 above.
- You will be asked to setup a payment options, but you can click “Remind Me Later” since Kodi is free so we won’t be paying for anything.
- You will be asked if you would like to backup your Google Apps, settings, etc. for your Android TV Box, this is completely up to you.
- After you finish the login process, you will be presented with the home screen of the Google Play Store.
- Click the three horizontal lines in the top right-hand corner and then click “My Apps”.
- After you do this, your applications will be listed and if Kodi is not up-to-date, it will be listed in that section as well.
- If you would like to update all of the applications at once, click the “Update All” button or if you would like to only update Kodi, click the Kodi application within the list. After you do this, it will open a screen specifically for Kodi and you will then click the update button within that screen.
- After the update has been applied, launch Kodi to ensure that Kodi has updated on your Android TV Box.
Please post your questions or comments in the Comments Section below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
In this video, I am using the MXQ Pro 4K Android TV Box, however this process will work with any Android TV Box which has Google Play Store installed.
Kodi users should always connect to a VPN to protect their identity and privacy while streaming. I use IPVanish on all of my streaming devices and I suggest that you do the same.
Get up to 60% off IPVanish Plan when you use coupon code TROYPOINT at checkout.
This special discount will expire soon so don't delay.
Click Here To Get Your IPVanish Discount