This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!
This step-by-step guide will show you how to install the Puffin Browser on Firestick/Fire TV and Android devices.
The Puffin browser is available for installation on Android TV Boxes such as the NVIDIA Shield, MECOOL KM3, and other devices running the Android operating system.
We also tested the Puffin browser on the Chromecast with Google TV, which we provide installation instructions for as well.
If using an Amazon Firestick, Fire TV, or any Fire TV device, you find steps for installing Puffin TV later in this tutorial.
We have included Puffin TV within our list of Best Firestick Apps.
Puffin TV Browser Highlights
- Easy to navigate user interface
- Optimized video playback
- Works great on Android OS
- Impressive rendering speed and page loading
- Adobe Flash support
- Organized category selection on home page
- Free to use web browser
Note: After testing on multiple devices, we noticed that downloading files within Puffin is currently not supported as of this writing.
When trying to download a file you will receive the following message – “Download is not supported on this device yet.” We suggest using the Downloader App or another browser if you are looking to download files.
Puffin Browser Screenshots
Puffin TV is becoming a popular web browser, and as of this writing, it is working great!
Follow the step-by-step instructions below for installing Puffin TV on your preferred streaming device.
How to Install Puffin Browser on Android TV
In the example below, we are installing the Puffin Browser on an NVIDIA Shield.
This same process works on any Android TV Box running Android TV OS.
1. Launch the Google Play Store
2. Click Search from the device main menu and click the search box
3. Type in “puffin” and click the search icon
4. Select Puffin TV Browser
5. Click Install
6. Once the app installs, return back to the home screen of your Chromecast with Google TV
7. Move to the right and select add app to favorites (plus icon)
8. Scroll down and choose Puffin TV
9. Place Puffin TV wherever you prefer in your list of apps
10. Launch the Puffin TV Browser
11. That’s it! You have successfully installed the Puffin Browser on your Android TV device.
How to Install Puffin Browser on Chromecast with Google TV
In addition to traditional Android TV devices, the Puffin Browser also works great on the Chromecast with Google TV.
Similar to Installing Kodi on a Chromecast, Puffin is also available for free in the Google Play Store.
Follow these steps for how to install Puffin TV on the Chromecast with Google TV device.
1. From the device main menu, click Search for apps
2. Type “puffin” and click the search icon
3. Select Puffin TV Browser
4. Click Install
5. Return back to the home screen of your Chromecast with Google TV
6. Locate and click Puffin TV
7. Wait a few seconds for the Puffin TV Browser to launch
8. That’s it! You have successfully installed the Puffin Browser on your Chromecast with Google TV.
Puffin Browser Installation Guide for Firestick & Fire TV
For the installation of Puffin TV on our Firestick 4K we will be using both Downloader and the alternative app store Aptoide TV.
Note: Since the Puffin Browser is optimized for Android TV devices, we suggest trying the Amazon Silk Browser on a Firestick/Fire TV for better performance.
1. From the Main Menu scroll to hover over Settings
2. Click My Fire TV
3. Choose Developer Options
4. Click Apps from Unknown Sources
5. Choose Turn On
6. Return to the home screen and hover over the Search icon
7. Type in Downloader and click “Downloader” which will appear under keyboard
8. Click Download.
9. Click Open.
10. Select Allow if presented with this prompt.
11. Click OK.
12. Click OK button on remote to open keyboard on your device.
13. Type the following URL in exactly as it is listed here and click Go – troypoint.com/app
14. Wait for the file download to finish
15. Click Install
16. Click Done
17. This will take you back to Downloader. Click Delete
18. Click Delete Again
19. Return to home-screen and under Your Apps & Channels click See All.
20. Scroll down to hover over Aptoide TV and click the Options button (3 horizontal lines).
21. Then click Move to front.
22. Aptoide TV is now moved to the front of Your Apps & Channels.
23. Aptoide TV and wait a few seconds for the application to open.
24. If prompted with this update message click OK.
25. When this message appears click Allow.
26. Once on the home screen of Aptoide TV, click the search icon in the top left.
27. Enter in “puffin” and click Next.
28. Select “Puffin TV – Fast Web Browser.”
29. Click Install.
30. Click Install again.
31. Click Done.
32. Go back to home-screen and under Your Apps & Channels click See All.
33. Locate Puffin TV and click the Options button (3 horizontal lines). Then click Move to front.
34. Puffin TV is now moved to the front of Your Apps & Channels.
35. That’s it! Puffin TV is now successfully installed.
Note: For better navigation within Puffin TV on a Firestick/Fire TV device, we suggest looking into Firestick Remote Alternatives.
Warning! Protect Yourself With A VPN
Most cord-cutters use a VPN and rightfully so.
The free streaming applications, addons, and paid IPTV services that you use are usually hosted on insecure servers.
Without a VPN, your IP Address is being logged.
Your IP Address points back to your location and identity which compromises both your privacy and security.
Your current identifying IP Address is 184.108.40.206 – When you use a VPN, your real IP address will be converted into an anonymous new one.
A VPN will provide you with an anonymous connection to the Internet.
This will prevent your Internet Service Provider, app/addon developers, government agencies, and any 3rd party from logging what you’re accessing online.
The most popular VPN among cord-cutters is IPVanish due to their blazing fast speeds and zero log policy.
Its important to use a VPN that is fast since we are streaming large HD files. Its also crucial to find one that keeps no logs of what their subscribers access while online.
Setting up IPVanish VPN on your streaming device is simple!
Step 1 Register for an IPVanish VPN account by clicking the link below.
This exclusive link provides you with a hefty discount, only available to TROYPOINT visitors like you.
Register for IPVanish Account & Save 76% (EXPIRES SOON)
Step 2 – Hover over the search icon on your Firestick, Fire TV, or Fire TV Cube and type in “Ipvanish”
You may also find the IPVanish App in the Google Play Store for those of you who are using Android TV Boxes, phones, and tablets.
Step 3 – Click the IPVanish VPN option that appears.
Step 4 – Click the IPVanish icon under Apps & Games.
Step 5 – Click Download.
Step 6 – Click Open.
Step 7 – Enter your username and password to login. Your username is the email that you used to register for IPVanish service with and your password is automatically generated and emailed to you.
Step 8 – Click Connect button.
Step 9 – Click OK for Connection request if it appears.
Step 10 – You will notice that your IP Address changes along with location of connection. You are now operating anonymously through your device.
Click the Home Button on your remote and the VPN will remain running in the background.
Congratulations! You are now protected by a VPN which means everything that you stream or access through your Firestick or Android TV Box is hidden from the rest of the world.
If you ever need to stop the VPN service, simply re-launch the application and click the DISCONNECT button.
Puffin TV Browser Features & Details
Puffin TV is a free web browser that works great on the Android TV operating system.
Whether you are watching videos, listening to music, or just surfing the internet, Puffin TV checks many boxes of being a quality browser.
Navigating within this web browser is a breeze whether you are using a remote or an air mouse.
When first launching Puffin TV you will instantly notice the user-friendly interface, which is one of Puffin TV’s best features.
TROYPOINT has created several popular lists for the best streaming websites that can be accessed using Puffin TV or any other browser on your streaming device.
- Free Movie Websites
- TV Show Streaming Sites
- Putlocker Alternative Sites
- Primewire Alternatives
- Anime Streaming Sites
- KissAnime Alternatives
- Best Free Movies on YouTube
- Torrent Sites
This web browser also does a nice job of laying out the different categories on the left side of the screen.
These categories consist of: Most Popular, Infotainment, News, Social, Sports, Education, Show Times, and Settings.
If you are having issues with Puffin TV, I suggest trying the TV Bro browser instead. View the link below for more information.
For more information on Puffin, features, compatible devices, and more, check out the official Puffin website below.
Give the updated Puffin TV Browser a try today!
Puffin TV Browser FAQ
What is Puffin TV?
Puffin TV is a free and popular web browser.
Is Puffin TV legal?
Yes. Puffin TV is 100% legal to install and use. However, you should only browse and stream content that is legal and in the public domain.
Is Puffin TV safe?
Yes, Puffin TV is safe to use and free of viruses and malware. However since this is a 3rd party application we suggest using a VPN so the app developers can't log what you are watching.
What devices can Puffin TV be installed on?
Puffin TV is compatible and works the best with devices that run Android OS. This includes: Amazon Fire TV, Firestick, Fire TV Cubes, Kindle Fire Tablet, Chromecast with Google TV, NVIDIA Shield, and other Android TV Boxes.