The following tutorial will show you How To Install SafeKodi on any Kodi device you prefer.
SafeKodi is a Kodi addon that has the ability to scan installed addons for malicious content, viruses, and ads.
SafeKodi can be used to test all Kodi addons you currently have installed on your device.
The guide below will show you how to use SafeKodi to scan stand-alone addons as well as Kodi builds.
Each addon will then be labeled as safe, unsafe, or possibly containing ads.
SafeKodi also has the ability to quickly disable any addons that contain malicious content or adware.
If you are looking to scan APKs and other standalone apps for viruses/malware, check out VirusTotal.
Use the guide below to learn how to install SafeKodi and use it to scan your Kodi addons and builds.
Table of Contents
How To Install SafeKodi
Below, you will find a screenshot guide for how to install and use SafeKodi on your preferred streaming device.
In this instance, we are using a Fire TV Stick 4K. However, this will also work for any device that supports the Kodi software.
1. Click the Settings icon
2. Click System settings
3. Turn on Unknown sources
Then go back to the previous screen by clicking the back button on remote
4. Click File manager
5. Click Add source
6. Click <None>
7. Type in the following URL exactly as it is listed here: https://safekodi.com/repo/ and click OK
8. Name the media source safe or another name you prefer and click OK
9. Return to System screen and select Add-ons
10. Click Install from zip file
11. Choose safe or other name given to the media source
12. Click script.safekodi.zip
13. Wait for the SafeKodi addon installed message to appear
Installation is now complete! Follow along to learn how to use SafeKodi and how to install SafeKodi within a Kodi build.
Warning! Protect Yourself With IPVanish VPNMost cord-cutters use a IPVanish VPN and rightfully so.
The free streaming applications, addons, and IPTV services that you use are usually hosted on insecure servers.
Without a IPVanish, your IP Address is being logged.
Your IP Address points back to your location and identity which compromises both your privacy and security.
Your current identifying IP Address is 184.108.40.206
When you use IPVanish, your real IP address will be converted into an anonymous new one.
IPVanish VPN will provide you with an anonymous connection to the Internet.
This will prevent your Internet Service Provider, app/addon developers, government agencies, and any 3rd party from logging what you’re accessing online.
The most popular VPN among cord-cutters is IPVanish due to their blazing fast speeds and zero log policy.
It’s important to use a VPN that is fast since we are streaming large HD files. Its also crucial to find one that keeps no logs of what their subscribers access while online.
Setting up IPVanish VPN on your streaming device is simple!
Step 1 Register for an IPVanish VPN account by clicking the link below.
This exclusive link provides you with a hefty discount.
Register for IPVanish Account & Save 63% with Yearly Plan
Step 2 – From the home screen hover over Find.
For those of you using Android TV devices, you can easily install the IPVanish app directly through Google Play Store.
Step 3 – Scroll down and click Search.
Step 4 – Type in “Ipvanish” and click the first option.
Step 5 – Click the IPVanish VPN app.
Step 6 – Click Download.
Step 7 – Once the IPVanish app installs, click Open.
Step 8 – Enter your IPVanish account information and click Log In.
You will get your username and password when you register for an account.
Step 9 – Click Connect.
Step 10 – Click OK.
Step 11 – Success! Your identifying IP Address has changed and you are now anonymous.
Click the Home Button on your remote and the VPN will remain running in the background.
Congratulations! You are now protected by IPVanish which means everything that you stream or access through your Firestick or Android TV Box is hidden from the rest of the world.
If you ever need to stop the VPN service, simply re-launch the application and click the DISCONNECT button.
You can now setup IPVanish VPN on all of your other Internet-connected devices. You can use IPVanish on unlimited devices!
How To Use SafeKodi
1. Return to Kodi home-screen and under Program addons, launch SafeKodi
2. Click No or Yes if you would like to submit anonymous data
3. SafeKodi will begin to scan your installed addons
4. When finished, your screen will look like this
Each addon will return one of the following results:
- Green Check Mark – Addon is safe for use
- Question Mark – Addon not in the database, unable to verify safety
- Red X – Addon may contain malicious content or adware
How To Install SafeKodi within a Kodi Build
If you are one of the millions of Kodi users with a build installed on your device, we can still run SafeKodi and check addons within your preferred build.
The guide below will show you how to do so by changing your interface back to the original Kodi skin. This will allow us to use SafeKodi to scan for viruses and more.
The screenshots below are taken with the Xanax build installed. However, this will work for nearly all builds.
1. Launch Kodi with your build installed and open Settings
2. Click Interface
3. Hover over Skin Tab and click Skin to change Kodi interface
4. Choose Estuary
5. When prompted, click Yes
6. Launch Settings and choose File Manager
7. Click Add Source
8. Insert the SafeKodi url as shown here: https://safekodi.com/repo/ and click OK
9. Name the media source safe or other name your prefer and click OK
10. Return to System screen and select Add-ons
11. Click Install from zip file
12. Choose safe or other name given to the media source
13. Click script.safekodi.zip
14. Wait for the SafeKodi add-on installed message to appear
15. Return to the home screen and under Program addons, launch SafeKodi
16. Click No or Yes if you would like to submit anonymous data
17. SafeKodi will begin to scan your installed addons
18. When finished, you will see the following screen
19. If SafeKodi finds an unsafe addon it will look like this:
20. Luckily, SafeKodi has a built-in feature that allows you to disable unsafe addons. Click the addon and choose Yes if you want to disable an addon
21. Click Ok
The unsafe add-on has now been disabled!
If you want to uninstall any addons that you find are unsafe completely, you can also do so:
To change the Kodi skin back to Xanax or other build skin, follow the steps below:
- From the Kodi home-screen choose Settings
- Click Interface
- Hover over Skin Category and select Skin
- Choose Xanax Skin or other Skin associated with your build
- When prompted, click Yes
That’s it! You will now see the original build interface on your Kodi device.
Features & Details
SafeKodi was formed by a group of researchers at Northwestern University and Brave Inc.
The project aims to inform Kodi users about addons that contain potentially malicious content.
This can be a virus, malware of some sort, or unwanted ads. Their website states the following:
SafeKodi’s database is continuously updated with de-Kodi, a Kodi crawler which is capable of discovering and testing large cross-sections of Kodi’s decentralized ecosystem at tunable levels of depth and breadth. With de-Kodi, we discovered and tested over 9,000 distinct Kodi addons..
For complete safety and privacy when using Kodi, we strongly recommend a VPN in conjunction with SafeKodi.
This will ensure your activity is not visible to your ISP or anyone else.
This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!