This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!
The following step-by-step instructional guide will show you How to Play Retro Games on Kodi with any streaming device.
In this guide, we will be installing the Zach Morris Repository, which contains the Internet Archive Game Launcher Addon.
Similar to RetroArch, this will allow us to play thousands of retro games right from our Kodi device.
This addon works great on the most popular streaming devices including the Firestick/Fire TV, NVIDIA Shield, Android TV Boxes, and more.
For these reasons and more, the Internet Archive Game Launcher can be found within our list of Best Kodi Addons by TROYPOINT.
If you don’t already have Kodi installed on your device, refer to the tutorials below for step-by-step installation guides.
Important Note: Playing retro games and using emulators on most streaming devices like the Firestick/Fire TV will require a Gamepad, as you can’t use a standard remote.
I recommend viewing the link below for some of the best Bluetooth Gamepads available.
How to Play Retro Games on Kodi
- Launch Kodi
- Click the settings icon
- Click System
- Hover over Add-ons menu item and turn on Unknown sources if not already on
- Click Yes
- Click back on remote to go back to the System page
- Select File Manager
- Click Add source
- Click <None>
- Type the following URL exactly how it is listed here – http://fusion.tvaddons.co and click OK
- Highlight the box under the source that you just typed in and enter a name for this media source, type “zm” or any other name you would like to identify this source as and click OK again
- Click your back button on remote or keyboard until you are back on the System screen
- Choose Add-ons
- Click Install from zip file
- Choose “zm” or another name you assigned the media source in the previous step
- Click Kodi-repos
- Select english
- Scroll down and click the zip file URL – repository.zachmorris-1.0.0.zip
- Wait for the “Zach Morris Add-on installed” message to appear
- Click Install from repository
- Choose Zach Morris Add-ons
- Click Game add-ons
- Select Game providers
- Click Internet Archive Game Launcher
- Click Install
- Kodi will then prompt the message below stating “The following additional add-ons will be installed”, Click OK
- Wait for the Internet Archive Game Launcher Add-on installed message to appear
- If this message appears click No
- Click the Internet Archive Game Launcher addon
- Select Configure
- Hover over the External Launchers option on the left menu and click My System Type
- Choose your platform from the provided list
- Next, locate the Setup Wizard tab on the left and make sure your Emulator Launcher has Kodi Retroplayer selected
- Next click Ok
- Return back to the home screen of Kodi and select Games
- Click Game add-ons
- Click Internet Archive Game Launcher
- Click Agree
- You have successfully installed the Internet Archive Game Launcher addon! Follow the additional steps below for how to play retro games.
Note: You may notice a message saying “New Game Lists” on the top right when using this addon. This appears to be a glitch when navigating, but nothing to worry about when playing retro games.
- To select a console to play retro games with, select any of the options on the main menu. For this example, we chose Browse All Lists.
- Scroll down the list and select your preferred console to play games from
Note: After testing, we found that some consoles are not fully integrated yet within this addon. It appears the developers are still working through some misc bugs.
- Select any game title you prefer
- Click Launch
- Select the emulator file that appears
- Wait for the emulator file to install
- The Game Menu screen will likely appear. Just click Ok on your Gamepad to continue
- That’s it! You are now able to play retro games on Kodi!
Warning! Protect Yourself With A VPNMost cord-cutters use a VPN and rightfully so.
The free streaming applications, addons, and paid IPTV services that you use are usually hosted on insecure servers.
Without a VPN, your IP Address is being logged.
Your IP Address points back to your location and identity which compromises both your privacy and security.
Your current identifying IP Address is 2600:1700:c021:630:e05e:3e0f:979c:ba7e – When you use a VPN, your real IP address will be converted into an anonymous new one.
A VPN will provide you with an anonymous connection to the Internet.
This will prevent your Internet Service Provider, app/addon developers, government agencies, and any 3rd party from logging what you’re accessing online.
The most popular VPN among cord-cutters is IPVanish due to their blazing fast speeds and zero log policy.
Its important to use a VPN that is fast since we are streaming large HD files. Its also crucial to find one that keeps no logs of what their subscribers access while online.
Setting up IPVanish VPN on your streaming device is simple!
Step 1 Register for an IPVanish VPN account by clicking the link below.
This exclusive link provides you with a hefty discount, only available to TROYPOINT visitors like you.
Register for IPVanish Account & Save 76%
Step 2 – Hover over the search icon on your Firestick, Fire TV, or Fire TV Cube and type in “Ipvanish”
You may also find the IPVanish App in the Google Play Store for those of you who are using Android TV Boxes, phones, and tablets.
Step 3 – Click the IPVanish VPN option that appears.
Step 4 – Click the IPVanish icon under Apps & Games.
Step 5 – Click Download.
Step 6 – Click Open.
Step 7 – Enter your username and password to login. Your username is the email that you used to register for IPVanish service with and your password is automatically generated and emailed to you.
Step 8 – Click Connect button.
Step 9 – Click OK for Connection request if it appears.
Step 10 – You will notice that your IP Address changes along with location of connection. You are now operating anonymously through your device.
Click the Home Button on your remote and the VPN will remain running in the background.
Congratulations! You are now protected by a VPN which means everything that you stream or access through your Firestick or Android TV Box is hidden from the rest of the world.
If you ever need to stop the VPN service, simply re-launch the application and click the DISCONNECT button.
Kodi Retro Games Information & Details
The Internet Archive Game Launcher Addon provides a simple user-interface with a ton of retro gaming options to choose from.
The categories available within this addon include Browse All Lists, Browse by Category, Favorites, Search, and Random Play.
Whether you’re a fan of the Sega Genesis, Atari, Playstation One, Nintendo 64, Game Boy, or other classic game consoles, this add-on has it all!
As mentioned previously, you will need a Bluetooth Gamepad in order to not only use this add-on but for playing retro games on any streaming device.
For more retro gaming options, check out our guides below.
If you are looking for Kodi Addons that stream Movies and TV Shows, we suggest viewing our Best Kodi Addons page that is updated daily.
Give the Internet Archive Game Launcher Kodi Addon a try so you can start playing retro games on Kodi!
Kodi Retro Games FAQ
Is playing retro games on Kodi legal?
Yes. It is not illegal to install and use this Kodi add-on for playing retro games. However, what you access after you have installed this add-on may be illegal. Always use a VPN as outlined on this page so you can use Kodi add-ons anonymously.
Should I use a VPN when playing retro games on Kodi?
A VPN such as IPVanish is always encouraged when installing any 3rd party Kodi addons and repositories. This will ensure your privacy and anonymity when streaming and gaming.
Can you play retro games on Kodi using a Firestick?
Yes. Follow the step-by-step instructions above. This tutorial was done using an Amazon Firestick 4K. This same process also works with a Fire TV, Fire TV Cube, NVIDIA Shield, Android TV Boxes, and more.
How do I play retro games on Kodi?
To play retro games on Kodi you will need a compatible Kodi device, gamepad, and install the Internet Archive Game Launcher Kodi Addon.
Can I use a standard remote to play retro games on Kodi?
No. In order to play retro games on Kodi you will need a bluetooth gamepad or gaming controller.