Kodi 19.1 has officially been released and is now considered the “stable” version of this software.
The following article shows the new features, updates, and changes within Kodi 19.1 which have been pulled directly from the official Kodi Website.
You can also download the most recent version using the links below or learn how to update.
We usually don’t recommend updating within incremental updates of a specific version such as this unless things aren’t working properly. But, if you are using Kodi 19 we suggest updating this time due to the number of bix fixes that were addressed.
The Kodi developers have done a fantastic job squashing a large number of bugs in a quick period of time.
Important – Please note that TROYPOINT has not tested Kodi 19.1 with popular add-ons and builds and many don’t work properly with this new release.
It’s important to note that there is now a new addon system for 19 which also applies to 19.1.
Some addons aren’t compatible with 19 yet and you will find an updated list of addons and builds that currently work.
These should also work fine with Kodi 19.1 as well.
Kodi 19.1 brings numerous bug fixes and a few new features. But, the new features aren’t noticeable and mostly apply to Windows operating system.
Below are the bug fixes and new features pulled directly from the official Kodi Website.
Kodi 19.1 New Features, Fixes, and Updates
- Fixed: HDR metadata is now detected in VP9 profile 2 streams and can be used on platforms that support HDR passthrough or tone mapped when playing this kind of videos.
- Fixed: playback of optical DVDs in Linux
- Fixed: BD-J Blu-ray chapter skipping via remotes/keyboard
- Fixed: context menu not accessible in PVR Guide window when using very basic remote to control Kodi
- Fixed: client channel name and number not persisted when changed
- Fixed: play count and resume position of recordings lost after Kodi restart
- Fixed: crash while browsing the EPG when MySQL is used as EPG database
- Fixed: next recording on … label time is not localized in Estuary Timer/Timer rules window
- Fixed: channel manager does not rename backend channel
- Fixed: playing archived programme not selected when opening the Guide window
- Fixed: GUI not updated on removal/insert/hide/unhide of channel groups
- Updated: improved look of PVR windows in Estuary
- Fixed: issue with music from cuesheets where only the first track was being added to the library on rescanning, with the rest being deleted
- Fixed: PVR – Reintroduced broadcast properties ‘hastimer’, ‘hastimerrule’, ‘hasrecording’, ‘recording’
- Fixed: PVR – Reintroduced channel property ‘isrecording’
- Fixed: detection of system fonts (directwrite) on windows for ASS subtitles
- Fixed: detection of user fonts (in userdata/fonts) for ASS subtitles
- Fixed: rendering of semi-transparent ASS subtitles on Wayland
- Fixed: media flagging for DVD/BluRay
- Updated: Chorus2 based on community contributions
- Updated: enable filecaching by default for network filesystems
- Updated: improve filecache error handling
- Updated: improved reliability for HTTP and NFS network filesystems
- Added: support for WS-Discovery protocol that enables locating SMB servers and browsing shared folders using SMBv3.
- Added: debug Info OSD Video. Extends current Debug Info Player (Ctrl+Shift+O) with new video-only info (Alt+O)
- Fixed: with some unusual streams, incorrect HDR metadata could be passed (HDR10 passthrough).
- Fixed: green screen on systems with old HW (DX feature level 9.1) playing 10-bit videos.
- Fixed: black screen with Software render method and with DXVA2 hardware acceleration disabled.
- Fixed: green screen when playing the menu of some DVDs (MPEG2 SD only).
- Fixed: credentials being requested for anonymous SMB shares
- Updated: VC runtimes included in the installer to add compatibility with VS2019 and VS2017 at the same time.
- Fixed: SMB shares mounted on system level not visible in Kodi
- Fixed: SMB shares labelled with cryptic numbers (UUID) instead of actual disk name
- This version also brings 19.1 to the Xbox – while 19.0 has been in the Microsoft Store since launch, this was Windows-only while we found a way to adequately test the new release on Xbox. We’ve fixed that now, so Xbox users will automatically upgrade from 18.9 to 19.1 if you’ve got auto-update enabled. It’s worth mentioning that there’s a known memory limitation – present in 18.x as well – that causes Xbox application crashes with 4k content, so please be aware.
Install Kodi 19.1 Via TROYPOINT App
The free TROYPOINT app may be installed on any Android-based device including Fire TV Stick, Fire TV, Fire TV Cube, NVIVDIA SHIELD, Android phones, and tablets.
The TROYPOINT App includes the Rapid App Installer which allows you to install all of the best streaming apps and tools in a matter for minutes.
You will also find Troy’s latest videos as well as an Internet Speed Test tool.
Kodi 19.1 Download Links
For Firestick and Fire TV Users, the following links will provide you with installation guides and updating guides for your preferred device:
TROYPOINT Android Shortcode for Downloader app or browser: https://troypoint.com/k19
iOS (Must have jailbroken device)
ARM32 is no longer supported in Kodi 19 and beyond.
Use the following commands in your Linux/Ubuntu terminal to install Kodi 18.6. Follow the prompts as you would with any other software installation.
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install kodi
Remember, by installing a repository, you will have the freedom to choose different streaming add-ons for your enjoyment. TROYPOINT’s list of the Best Kodi Add-ons can be found by clicking the link below.
If you are looking for a simple way to install the best add-ons and repositories quickly and efficiently, I suggest using a Kodi Build. Click the link below for a list of the Best Kodi Builds at this time.
This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!