The following article will provide you with the best Nord VPN alternative.
It was recently announced that this popular VPN provider was hacked, leaving many of its subscribers looking for a secure service.
You can read more about this breaking news below.
What is a VPN, you may ask?
For more information on VPNs and why you should use one to protect your online identity, view our complete VPN guide below.
Nord VPN Hacked
It was recently announced by various tech news outlets that Nord VPN was hacked by unknown attackers.
This report states that Nord VPN had an “expired internal private key exposed, which could enable anyone to use their own servers impersonating Nord VPN.”
Nord VPN has also confirmed the attack via their social media accounts.
Below is a tweet from Nord VPN:
Official response regarding the breach of one of our datacenters.
— NordVPN (@NordVPN) October 21, 2019
A few months ago, we became aware that, on March 2018, one of the datacenters in Finland we had been renting our servers from was accessed with no authorization. The attacker gained access to the server by exploiting an insecure remote management system left by the datacenter provider.
Many Nord VPN users have voiced frustration that it took the company months to come forward about this security breach.
You can check out their Official Response if you are interested in reading more about this.
What Does This Mean for Users?
According to Nord’s statement, only one server was affected and user data was never compromised.
Below is a fact list pulled directly from the Nord Website explaining the breach.
- One server was affected in March 2018 in Finland. The rest of our service was not affected. No other servers of any type were put at risk. This was an attack on our server, not our entire service.
- The breach was made possible by poor configuration on a third-party datacenter’s part that we were never notified of. Evidence suggests that when the datacenter became aware of the intrusion, they deleted the accounts that had caused the vulnerabilities rather than notify us of their mistake. As soon as we learned of the breach, the server and our contract with the provider were terminated and we began an extensive audit of our service.
- No user credentials were affected.
- There are no signs that the intruder attempted to monitor user traffic in any way. Even if they had, they would not have had access to those users’ credentials.
- The attacker did acquire TLS keys that, under extraordinary circumstances, could be used to attack a single user on the web using a specifically targeted and highly sophisticated MITM attack that we detail further below. These keys could not and cannot be used to decrypt any encrypted NordVPN traffic in any form.
- Two other VPN providers were impacted in attacks published by the same intruder. We do not believe that this was a targeted attack against NordVPN.
- The incident effectively showed that the affected server did not contain any user activity logs. To prevent any similar incidents, among other means, we encrypt the hard disk of each new server we build. The security of our customers is the highest priority to us and we will continue to raise our standards further and further.
If you are looking for a Nord VPN alternative, we recommend IPVanish VPN.
Best Nord VPN Alternative
So with this major news of Nord VPN being hacked, what is the best VPN alternative that users can rely on to protect themselves online?
TROYPOINT has always recommended IPVanish for your VPN needs because of its zero traffic log policy and blazing fast servers. Plus, you can use the app on up to 10 devices simultaneously!
IPVanish has become the most popular VPN among cord cutters due to the numerous features mentioned below.IPVANISH VPN EXCLUSIVE TROYPOINT DISCOUNT - SAVE 57%
Use IPVanish on unlimited Internet-connected devices through your account.
IPVanish backs their service with a 30-day money back guarantee.
IPVanish Features at a Glance
The zero traffic log policy and extremely fast servers are at the top of my list for important VPN benefits, but IPVanish features some other great benefits. These are listed below:
- User-friendly apps
- 40,000+ shared IP addresses
- Over 1,000 VPN servers in 60+ countries
- Unlimited bandwidth provided for each account
- 256-bit AES encryption
- Access to censored applications and websites
- Unlimited server switching
- 10 simultaneous connections on multiple devices
- 24/7 customer support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
Since IPVanish allows for 10 simultaneous connections, you can protect yourself with their service on all of your Internet connected devices.
They have an app for every system!
Popular TROYPOINT IPVanish VPN Setup Guides
For more information on IPVanish and VPNs, be sure to check out our complete VPN guide by clicking the link below.
Question for you?
What do you think of this recent news regarding Nord VPN being hacked? Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.