This guide will show you How To Install LocalBTV App on Firestick, Android, and Roku devices.
LocalBTV is a newer free streaming application for watching local channels such as news, weather, and even some movies.
This app is becoming a popular alternative to Locast after the service was suspended a few months ago.
LocalBTV explained the service on its website:
“LocalBTV works directly with station owners and networks to get permission to stream their channels. If you don’t see your favorite channel, rest assured we’re working on it!”
Thanks to a patron from our TROYPOINT Insider Forum who brought this new application to our attention.
This is a solid free application for those just looking to stream basic weather, news, and other local options without the hassle of cable.
LocalBTV is currently available in 14 US markets with a total of 30-40 local channels. However, they are consistently looking to expand their channel offerings as noted on their website.
These 14 US markets broadcasted by LocalBTV include the following:
- Bay Area (San Francisco)
- Southern California (Los Angeles)
- San Diego
- New York City
- Las Vegas
- Monterey (Santa Cruz)
Important Note: If you are located outside of these regions, you can connect to a VPN to change your geo-location and access local programming. However, after hours of testing, we found this doesn’t work with every channel.
For the purposes of this tutorial, we changed our geo-location to Chicago which is a supported region.
LocalBTV is available in the Amazon App Store, Google Play Store, Roku Channel Store, and more.
Follow the screenshot guides below for registration and how to install LocalBTV on a Firestick/Fire TV, Android, or Roku device.
Prior to using the LocalBTV service, you must register for a free account. Follow the step-by-step guide below.
1. Visit the LocalBTV official website – https://www.localbtv.com
- Then click Download / Sign Up
2. Enter your zip code and click Submit.
3. For this example, we used a Chicago zip code. Click Sign Up or Watch Now to continue.
4. Enter your zip code again and click Check Availability.
NOTE: After testing, we have found that users are unable to change locations within the app.
In order to do so, you must uninstall and reinstall or edit settings within your account profile.
5. Enter an email and password and click Sign Up.
6. That’s it! You will receive a confirmation email from LocalBTV and can now start streaming local channels in your area.
Continue below for installing the LocalBTV app on an Amazon Firestick/Fire TV and how to activate the service.
How to Install LocalBTV App on Firestick/Fire TV
This guide will show you how to install LocalBTV on an Amazon Firestick 4K. However, this guide will also work on any Fire TV device.
This is the most popular streaming device on the market due to its low price point, jailbreaking abilities, and much more.
If you are using an Android or Roku device, simply search for LocalBTV within your respective app stores.
1. If you are located outside of a covered market, you will want to connect to a compatible city. We used Chicago in this example.
2. From your device home screen, hover over Find and click Search.
3. Enter “Localbtv” and choose the first option that appears.
4. Select LocalBTV under Apps & Games.
5. Click Get.
6. Wait for the installation to finish and click Open.
7. Wait a few seconds for the LocalBTV app to launch.
8. You will be prompted with an activation screen with a 6-digit code. We suggest writing this down for the next step.
9. Visit the following URL – activate.localbtv.com and enter the code from the previous step. Then click Activate.
10. That’s it! You have successfully installed the LocalBTV app on your Firestick/Fire TV device.
11. To our surprise, this free service provides several local programming options and even allows for recording!
LocalBTV Description & Details
LocalBTV’s slogan on their website home page is “Free Local TV for the Digital Age.”
If you wish to use subtitles within the app, simply play your preferred channel or title and click any button to open settings. Then choose CC.
Links within LocalBTV are mostly available in Standard Definition, oftentimes played in both 1080p and 720.
For more information on LocalBTV and the content they offer, I suggest viewing their official website.
For other free local TV apps, I suggest viewing the links below.
Because LocalBTV is a free app for streaming local channels, options can become very limited.
If you are looking for more Live TV options that offer thousands of higher-quality channels, refer to our popular IPTV guide below.
For other streaming apps/addons that provide Movies and TV Shows, check out the following resource guides:
Frequently Asked Questions
What is LocalBTV?
LocalBTV is a popular free streaming application for watching the local news, weather, and even some movies.
Is LocalBTV app legal?
Yes. LocalBTV is a verified service and is 100% legal to use.
Is LocalBTV free?
Yes. LocalBTV is 100% free to use for watching the local news, weather, and movies.
What devices can LocalBTV app be installed on?
LocalBTV is available for installation on tons of devices including the Amazon Firestick which is the most popular streaming device available. Users can also download on Android, Roku, and more.
What types of channels and movies does LocalBTV have?
LocalBTV provides 30-40 local channels that depend on your location.
This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don't use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!